See the top 10 winning images here!
Wiki Loves Earth photo competition took place in Ireland for the first time in 2020 from 1-30 July. The competition calls on participants to take pictures of protected areas of natural beauty, such as National Parks, Nature Reserves, and Special Areas of Conservation.
Photos may have been taken at any time. The key criteria to be eligible for the contest are that they are to be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons in July 2020 and that they have been taken by you, of course!
The full WLE rules can be read here, but in short:
- photos need to be two megapixel minimum image
- be taken by you
- be of a protected area (see these lists here and here) in Ireland including the area’s flora and fauna
- be uploaded using the links in the lists above
- be described with the location, and co-ordinates if possible
- be uploaded between 1-30 July 2020
To participate you need a Wikimedia account, you can create an account here. Be sure to add your email address so that we can contact you when you win!
- 1st Prize: €250 Amazon voucher
- 2nd Prize: €125 Amazon voucher
- 3rd Prize: €75 Amazon voucher
- Highly Commended: €40 Amazon voucher
- 1 July: The contest officially opens, and uploading of photos begins.
- 30 July: Contest closes, uploading of photos ends.
- August: Winners will be announced.
- Dr Caitriona Carlin
- Dr Niamh Show
- Axel Pettersson
Got a question? Please have a read of the FAQs, and if your question isn’t already answered, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
What makes Wiki Loves Monuments special
- Since the global competition began in 2013 in Ukraine
- The competition is led and driven by a global network of volunteers
- The competition is open to everyone, and participation is free
- Participants will see their photos used in Wikipedia articles with a potential audience in the hundreds of millions
- All entrants help to provide a range of locally-sourced images that are available for use on Wikipedia and elsewhere
Besides WLE being a competition, it is first a fun activity, ideal for families. The competition also allows us to share our unique natural environment, while improving our photographic talents!
Press and media inquiries: Email email@example.com