Wiki Science the international photography competition returns for 2023! Wikimedia Community Ireland is calling upon amateur, professional, and aspiring photographers with a love of science to take photos and upload them to Wikimedia Commons. Photos are welcome of scientists, research subjects, and the research process.
The contest is open from November 1st to December 15th 2023. Entries uploaded on Wikimedia Commons under a free license will make a significant contribution to a globally accessible collection of scientific images online.
The Wiki Science Competition happens on two levels: national and international. The winning photos from Ireland will advance to the international final. This means that your photograph is in the chance of gaining international recognition. You could also be in with the chance of winning prizes! For the 2019 edition, the Wiki Science prize fund was 5100 €, and in 2021 it was 5600 €.
Entry Guidelines for Wiki Science:
Your image should come under one of the 7 main categories*:
- People in science – Scientists in their natural habitat.
- Microscopy images – Optical, electron, and scanning probe microscopy images all fall under this category.
- Non-photographic media – Audio and video files, computer-generated imagery, etc.
- Image sets – Thematically linked images, that can be viewed as one set such as sets showing natural variation within animal or plant specimens. The image set could be made up of up to 10 separate images.
- Wildlife and nature – Organisms that grow or live wild in an area. Macro photography also falls under this category.
- Astronomy – images of stars, people viewing them, or the equipment used for it.
- General category – Everything else goes into this category, from archaeology to zoology!
*For the national level, in Ireland, we will also award an eighth prize for an image representing Women in STEM in the people in science category.
Wiki Science Rules:
- To participate, just create a Wikimedia account. This only takes a moment and you don’t even have to share your name if you don’t want to. However if you win we will need to contact you so be sure to add your email address!
- The competition closes on the 15th of Decmeber 2023.
- For the photo to be considered scientific, it needs to have a robust description. Your description should include a brief description of what the image shows, how it shows it/ how it was captured, and where it was taken.
- Everyone is welcome to add images and the number of images per participant is unlimited.
- The authorship must be from the person uploading the photograph to Wikimedia Commons. You can only participate with your own images, or with images of which you are one of the authors. In the latter case, all names of co-authors must be provided.
- Images must be published under a free-use license or as public domain. Possible licenses are CC-BY-SA 4.0, CC-BY 4.0 and CC0 1.0.
- As this is a photo contest, we expect images of good quality and size. The size of the image should be at least 2 megapixels unless the technology used does not allow it. The larger the file, the better.
For more information on the contest rules visit Wiki Science Ireland.